Introduction: Fuerteventura, a sunny paradise in the Canary Islands, offers a wide range of activities throughout the year. To make the most of your visit, it’s crucial to know the best months for different activities. In this guide “weather in Fuerteventura”, we’ll provide a clear, month-by-month breakdown of the weather conditions, temperatures, ocean conditions, and suitable attire for activities like surfing, windsurfing, kitesurfing, yoga, hiking, diving, snorkeling, and sunbathing.
January to March:
- Average Temperature: 18-21°C (64-70°F)
- Ocean Temperature: 18-19°C (64-66°F)
- Surfing: Ideal for surfing for intermediate and advanced practitioners.
- Windsurfing and Kitesurfing: Suitable conditions for wind-based water sports.
- Yoga: Great for indoor yoga retreats
- Hiking: Enjoy mild temperatures for scenic hikes.
- Diving and Snorkeling: Clear waters, but a medium to thick wetsuit is recommended.
- Sunbathing: Possible, but it’s not as warm as later months. Layering is key.
This is the best time of the year to book surf coaching especially if you are intermediate or advanced intermediate. Check out our surf school page to book your experience!
April to June:
- Average Temperature: 21-26°C (70-79°F)
- Ocean Temperature: 19-22°C (66-72°F)
- Surfing: Conditions can be unpredictable, with occasional strong swells and variable weather.
- Windsurfing and Kitesurfing: Suitable conditions for wind-based sports, but some variability.
- Yoga: Great indoor activity when weather is not so stable
- Hiking: Spring blooms make this season picturesque for hikes.
- Diving and Snorkeling: Warmer waters, but medium wetsuit is recommended
- Sunbathing: Warm and pleasant, bring swimwear and sunscreen. Consider booking for more than a week as weather can be unpredictable.
This is a good time of the year to book surf coaching or classes if you have more than a week available. Or to join us for a retreat in a different location (with less wind and more suitable for surfing) Check out our 2 weeks packs or our retreats. If you don’t see any dates open, subscribe to our newsletter to stay tuned about our next destination (in 2024 we will go to Portugal!)
July to September:
- Average Temperature: 26-30°C (79-86°F)
- Ocean Temperature: 22-24°C (72-75°F)
- Surfing: Not recommended due to strong winds, but great for windsurfing and kitesurfing.
- Windsurfing and Kitesurfing: Perfect for water sports with consistent winds.
- Yoga: Early morning or evening sessions recommended due to heat.
- Hiking: Possible, but choose cooler times of the day.
- Diving and Snorkeling: a thinner wetsuit will do or even just swimsuit for short snorkeling sessions. Water can be murky due to the trade winds
- Sunbathing: High season for sun seekers, pack light clothing and sunscreen.
This is a good time of the year to book yoga classes, kitesurf or windsurf classes. Check out our yoga schedule! You can also join us for a retreat in a different location (with less wind and more suitable for surfing). If you don’t see any dates open, subscribe to our newsletter to stay tuned about our next destination. If you still want to join for surfing, make sure you are only looking for beginner classes: for intermediate surfers, we work way better all the other months.
October to December:
- Average Temperature: 23-19°C (73-66°F)
- Ocean Temperature: 24-20°C (75-68°F)
- Surfing: Top conditions for all level surfing as the wind drops, and the weather i’s warm and pleasant. Water is also warm.
- Windsurfing and Kitesurfing: Still suitable for wind-based water sports.
- Yoga: Enjoy outdoor sessions in comfortable activewear.
- Hiking: Cooler temperatures for rewarding hikes.
- Diving and Snorkeling: Crystal clear waters, warmer than earlier months, but a wetsuit is still recommended.
- Sunbathing: Comfortable for sunbathing, but evenings can be cooler.
This is the absolute best time of the year to book a surf camp or a retreat, for any level. Fuerteventura is simply magical in the fall.
Check out this page to book your experience!
What to Pack:
Spring (April to June) and Autumn (October to December): Light layers, swimwear, sunscreen, comfortable shoes for hiking, and a light wetsuit for water activities. Consider booking for more than a week in spring for stable weather.
Summer (July to September): Lightweight clothing, swimsuits, sunscreen, and a sun hat. Note that strong winds are prevalent during this season, making it ideal for windsurfing and kitesurfing but less suitable for surfing.
Winter (January to March): Layers, a light jacket, swimwear, sunscreen, and a thicker wetsuit for water sports.
Fuerteventura’s climate offers year-round opportunities for various activities. Whether you’re a water sports enthusiast, a yogi, a hiker, or simply seeking the perfect beach getaway, understanding the best months and what to pack will ensure you have a fantastic experience on this beautiful island. Plan your trip accordingly, and let Fuerteventura’s natural beauty and pleasant weather be your guide, while always considering the unpredictability of the weather in Fuerteventura because it is an island in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean!